St. Martin’s Church
Founded in 1229, Gothic brick building, baroque organ front, carved pulpit, colourful windows with biblical scenes. Carillon: Praise to the Lord.
St. Martin's Church was founded on the Schlachte Embankment in 1229. The Gothic brick building has many colourful windows depicting biblical scenes. Of particular interest are the carved pulpit and the baroque organ front.
The bells of St. Martin's ring the well-known hymn 'Praise to the Lord, the Almighty', written in the 17th century by Joachim Neander, who was the church's pastor at the time. He gave his name to the Neanderthal valley, now famous for the discovery of the remains of Neanderthal Man.
Mon-Sat 10.30am-12.30pm and 3-5pm