Denkort Bunker Valentin
The Valentin U-boat pen was one of the largest military projects in Nazi Germany. The remaining ruins near Farge district of Bremen now serve as a place of rembembrance.
The former Valentin U-boat pen is the most visible reminder of three large-scale Nazi armament projects that completely transformed this rural region in the mid-1930s.
In 1938, a front company for the Reich's ministry of economics, Wifo, began to build an underground fuel store between Farge and Neuenkirchen. From 1939, the German Navy built additional fuel bunkers in the immediate vicinity. Both sites were part of the preparations for war. From the middle of 1943 onwards, the existing infrastructure was used in the building project of the Valentin U-boat pen. At the end of March 1945, an air raid by the British RAF destroyed the unfinished part of the U-boat pen. Building work ceased shortly afterwards. No U-boats were ever built at the Valentin pen. After the war, the allies initially used the U-boat pen to test bombs. Various plans to demolish it failed, and for a while it became a kind of adventure playground for local children. In the 1960s, the German Navy took over the U-boat pen and used parts of it as a storage depot until the end of 2010. The surrounding premises were taken over by the German Army at the end of the 1950s and used as a military training area.
Today, the Valentin pen is a memorial site and is open to the public. A circular trail, which runs through and around the pen, has 25 waypoints that reveal the history of that particular location. Historical photos, first-hand accounts and brief explanations provide you with insights into the pen's past. A multimedia guide is available from the information centre that offers additional information on each of the waypoints. The information centre also has a media console showing the geographical development of the armaments complex – of which the Valentin pen was only a part – from the early 1930s to the present day, as well as an exhibition that goes into greater detail. Here you will also find a supplementary exhibition to the circular trail that provides further details on the history of the bunker. Objects from the period when the pen was built and from the post-war years can be viewed across six themed islands.
How to get there
Train: RS 1 (Regio-S-Bahn)
Stop: Farge train station
Onward bus: 90
Stop: Rekumer Siel