St. John’s Provost Church
Gothic hall church, 14th century, former Franciscan church, now Bremen's main Catholic church in the old town's Schnoor quarter.
This Gothic church was built by Franciscan monks in around 1350 in what is known today as the Schnoor quarter. As a sign of the poverty and modesty of the order it has, in place of the usual tower, a ridge turret with small bells. The monastery was demolished in 1523 during the Reformation and the church was later used as a warehouse. In 1816 the council handed the derelict building to the Catholics and after extensive renovations it reopened as a church in 1823. The richly detailed exterior is a fine example of the northern German brick Gothic style. The church windows, which were destroyed during the Second World War, have been restored and depict saints from the Bremen region as well as other important saints (including St John after whom the church is named). Due to its importance as a central Catholic church in Bremen it was made a provost church in 1953 by the archbishop of Osnabrück. The church is often used as a haven of peace and tranquillity during the daytime and visitors are very welcome.