Raised burial grounds and avenues lined with rare tree species give this cemetery a park-like feel.
Osterholz, opened in 1920, is Bremen's largest cemetery. It initially served as the central communal cemetery, but with the expansion of the Neue Vahr, Blockdiek and Osterholz Tenever districts its catchment area increased considerably.
It now serves a diverse community and provides Muslim and Pentecostalist burial sites. The specially designed raised burial grounds, enclosed by yew tree hedges, and the many avenues lined with rare tree species give the cemetery a park-like feel.
Today, it is also a central memorial site for remembering the war dead. The even arrangement of the gravestones, the landscaping and the plants used give the site a particular dignity.
Osterholz cemetery is home to the grave of Carl F.W. Borgward (1890–1963), an engineer and entrepreneur who founded the Bremen-based Borgward car company.
Mon-Fri from 7am
Sat-Sun from 8am
01.-31.03. 6.30pm (after clocks have gone forward for summer: 7.30pm)
01.-31.10. 7.30pm (after clocks have gone back for winter: 6.30pm)
01.- 24.11. 6pm