Haus des Reichs
The history of a Bremen landmark. One of Bremen's finest office buildings today houses the city's finance department.
Known originally as Nordwollehaus, it was built between 1928 and 1930 as the administrative headquarters of the thriving Nordwolle wool corporation based in Delmenhorst. Even today, its ornate exterior, luxurious art-deco marble halls and elaborately styled staircases reflect the sense of prestige of a wool empire that was then the biggest in Europe.
When the company collapsed in the Great Depression, this huge building was taken over by the Third Reich and used by Nazi officials. Its name Haus des Reichs dates from this period. A tour of the building brings to life the splendour and tragedy of the late 1920s.