Bremen former merchants' guildhouse, now the chamber of commerce. Built in 1537/38 in the Flanders Renaissance style.
It was built in 1537/38 by Johann den Buschener in the style of the Renaissance buildings of Flanders. During decorative refurbishment of the front of the building facing the market in 1594, the merchants' coat of arms was added above the entrance, next to that of the city of Bremen. This depicts – in line with the historical self-image of Bremen's merchants as imperial traders – the crowned, double-headed imperial eagle. Below it, the motto of Bremen's merchants, "Buten un binnen, wagen un winnen" (outside and in – venture and win), was added in 1899.
Bremen's chamber of commerce
For more than half a millennium, Bremen's chamber of commerce has represented the city's economic autonomy, working for the success of Bremen and its business community with an international outlook, forward-thinking and innovative. Today, it is also an important representative and pioneering service provider for its approx. 29,000 members and for the whole of Bremen's commercial sector.